Place a knob of butter, 1/4 tsp each of salt, ground cumin, ground coriander and 1 T soft brown sugar in a pan and stir it around on low heat to melt the butter and combine the spices. Add 1/2 c popcorn and increase heat (not too hot or you will burn the spices!). Shake the pan until the corn pops. Enjoy!!
Saturday, August 23, 2008
MD and I snuggled up on the couch this afternoon, fire blazing (as much as a gas fire can!) to enjoy a movie as the rain poured down. The end is in sight though as next weekend is the official last weekend of winter - yah! We'll be spending it down in the South Island as we embark on a week long snowboarding mission!! Anyway, back to the task at hand - a mid-afternoon movie requires some popcorn. I've been meaning to try a spice mix I use to roast nuts for a chickpea-beetroot salad, thought it would go well on popcorn....and it did!
Sunday, August 17, 2008
This recipe is adapted from Heidi Swanson's 'Super Natural Cooking'. I was quite stoked as I grew the borlotti beans myself over the summer and this looked like a good recipe to try them out on! I also grew the garlic and the silverbeet so except for the onion and parmesan, it's a truely homemade meal! The boy gave them the thumbs up even though I mucked up a little with my choice of pan, so they will no doubt be on the menu again. Already getting excited about the quickly approaching spring and the planting of many more borlotti beans!
Creamy beans with silverbeet
1. Cook around 300g (3/4 cup) of soaked, dried beans until tender. Drain.
2. Heat 3 T oil in a wide pan and add the beans when hot, stir through the oil then spread into a single layer. Cook 3 - 4 minutes then turn and cook the other side. The beans should be slightly crispy on the outside and soft inside.
3. Season with salt then add 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves chopped garlic and the sliced stems of 2 silverbeet. Cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Add 7 sliced silverbeet leaves and cook until wilted.
5. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesan to serve.